Ethics & 2020 Ordination Renewal
- The 2015 cycle will conclude when ordination cards expire 12/31/2020.
- Healthy Boundaries training will be available soon.
- May 2018 Letter: Ministry Commission reminds ministers that CEUs are required for renewal.
- Outline of the renewal cycle:
Ethics & 2015 Ordination Renewal
- Online Registration for Ministerial Ethics Training: Healthy Boundaries
- PDF of the Ethics Mailing mailed 8/15/2014
- The 2015 Ordination Renewal process will begin in 2014 with three classes (AZ / N.CA / S.CA) “Healthy Boundaries: Ministerial Ethics Training.” All ordained and licensed ministers are required to attend. Members of the Ministry Commission, NACC, and the Ministerial Ethics Committee are strongly encouraged to attend. The primary trainer is Julie M. Hostetter, executive director, Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership. Joe Detrick, Interim District Executive Minister, will also assist in the training.
- Northern and Central California
- Saturday, October 18 — 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Empire Church of the Brethren, Google Map Link
- Southern California
- Monday, October 20 — 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., University of La Verne, Google Map Link
- Tuesday, October 21 — 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Papago Buttes Church of the Brethren, Google Map Link
- Northern and Central California
- Retired Ministers: Exemption Form mailed 7/16/2014 PDF Copy
- Forms for churches and ministers due March 31, 2015
2015 Makeup Seminar
The Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership is providing a Healthy Boundaries 201 training session at Annual Conference in Tampa, FL. Licensed and ordained clergy needing this training along with the overview of the 2008 Ethics in Ministry Relation Paper are invited to register for this continuing education event. There will be a registration fee of $20 for this continuing education event and 0.5 CEU will be granted. Registration and payment must be sent to the Brethren Academy by June 30, 2015. Note: If you are planning to attend this Healthy Boundaries 201 training event, you will likely need lodging in Tampa on Thursday, July 9, 2015. Click here for the Registration Form
On Saturday, August 15, the Brethren Academy will provide a webcast of the Healthy Boundaries 201 and 2008 Ethics in Ministry Relations Paper continuing education event. Participants must attend the 10:00-1:00 pm eastern and 2:00-4:00 pm eastern sessions. Instructor: Julie Hostetter; cost: $30.00; 0.5 CEU available. To register, please contact email@example.com or call 800.287.8822, ext. 1824.
NOTE: Instruction for the July Annual Conference sessions and the August webcast will be offered in English. A resource book is available in Spanish.
Ministerial Ethics Requirements
- During each 5 year cycle, all ordained and licensed ministers are required to attend a “Healthy Boundaries: Ministerial Ethics Training.” Retired ministers must attend if you have any active ministerial leadership roles, like preaching, blogging, teaching, or acting in a pastoral role. For reference, see the Ministerial Leadership Manual papers. Your attendance will be noted in your personal file and recorded as part of the 5 – year ordination review.
- Ordination Transfer and Ordination Recognition require attendance at a “Ministerial Ethics Seminar.”
- Licensed Ministers must attend a “Ministerial Ethics Seminar” before any employment as a minister.
Fulfilling the Requirement
- District Sponsored Training Events: Sometime during each 5 year cycle, there will be one or more “Ministerial Ethics Seminars” in our district.
- National Office Sponsored Training Event: Our national Office of Ministry sponsors “Ministerial Ethics Seminars” in districts across the country. You can attend an event in another district. Call the Ministry Office at 800-323-8039 for locations.
- If you need help finding a seminar for an Ordination Transfer or Ordination Recognition, contact the district office.